The UCLG-CSIPDHR; the International Observatory of Violence against Women of the Department of Seine Saint Denis and the Municipality of Iztapalapa organized a training on “Fighting violence against women in public and private spaces”. The event was held from 13 to 17 December 2022 and gathered around 30 participants from 11 Local Governments of Latin America; Seine Saint Denis (France) and Jenin (Palestinian Territories); as well as academia, UN Representatives and civil society to share their experiences and build capacities on local public policies against gender-based violence.
The exchanges focused on the following themes: i) intimate-partner violence; ii) femicide; iii) violence in public spaces; and iv) assessments and data.
A detailed report of the training will be shared in the newsletter to be published on the occasion of the 2023 International Women’s Day (8 March). The report is also available HERE.
The event concluded by the adoption of a Declaration of commitment signed by Local Representatives to fight gender-based violence at local level through knowledge sharing, networking and advocacy.
The text of the Declaration (translated from Spanish) states the following:
The signatories of the Declaration are:
- Clara Brugada Molina, Mayor of Iztapalapa (Mexico)
- Javiera Toledo Muñoz, Mayor of Villa Alemana (Chile)
- Gissela Chalá Reinoso, Second Vice Mayor of Quito (Ecuador)
- Eva Mieri, Municipal Councillor of Quilmes (Argentina)
- Virginia Palma Erpel, Municipal Councillor of Santiago (Chile)
- Samer Aqwari, Member of the Municipal Council of Jenin (Palestinian Territories)
- María Auxiliadora Pérez Ruiz, Councillor of the Municipal Council of Nicoya and representative of the National Union of Local Governments of Costa Rica (Costa-Rica)
- Alina Yapor Castillo, Gender Policy Officer, Dominican Federation of Municipalities, FEDOMU (Dominican Republic)
- Ernestine Ronai, Head of the Observatory on Violence against Women, Department of Seine-Saint-Denis (France)
- Amanda Fléty Martínez, Coordinator of the UCLG-CSIPDHR